Monday 31 January 2011

Let me introduce myself.

Hi, I'm Matt. I'm a gamer, so I hate everything that moves, want to destroy everything, think I'm invincible, spend all my time playing Xbox, steal and am generally not a nice person. In my spare time, I also hang around in the dark, with a hoodie and a machete trying to scare off the locals.

Well, at least that's what the press will force you to think. I mean, videogames are huge at the moment, but do you really have to blame everything on them? If there's some sort of attack on a person, or insult or anything, The Daily Mail will just blame it on Gamers with no real thought. If there's a crime, Gamers were behind it. Gamers are the scurge of society, like shooting things and should be avoided at all costs. That's just not true, and it's about time the bastards realised the fact.

I play videogames to unwind, much like people watch soap operas (urgh) to escape from the real world for a few hours. It makes me no different a person for doing so. In fact, we did a study in Psychology the other day about Violent media and Aggression, and as it turns out, there's really no difference in Aggression levels and watching or playing violent stuff on your Xbox.

If anything, I reckon it makes you even less aggressive - people can exert their anger safely into the games, and relax much more than if they didn't, and had to keep the anger stored inside them. Even so, not all video games are violent, in fact very few are these days. Go look down the isles of any major game shop, and there'll be the usual violent games, and then there'll be shedloads of ones that aren't violent in the slightest. There's Call of Duty, and Halo, and Battlefield mainly, and these seem to clog up the headlines with how they're turning kids into murderers, and it's just not true. I've seen people be more violent after playing Mario Kart than a particularly tough round of Halo.

I could go on forever, but I'm going to end it there. Please, if you're anti-gamer and look down on us like the scum of the Earth - don't. And if you're from the Daily Mail - I wouldn't even use your newspaper to put out for my dog to relieve itself on.

No comments:

Post a Comment